Character

Let us behave decently, as in the daytime…  Romans 13:13

From Guest Blogger Dan Thews:

John Wooden, the legendary basketball coach, once said:

“The true test of a man’s character is what he does when no one is watching.”

I wonder if Coach Wooden had St. Paul’s words from Romans 13:13 in mind, “Let us behave decently, as in the daytime” when he penned that statement. It’s easy to do the right things when others are watching, but what about when we think “no one will know”? What about when “no one is watching”?

I’ve been home alone on my computer when that random link or popup appears and along comes that moment … one stroke on the keyboard and I’ll be somewhere I know I shouldn’t be. Invariably this battle begins in my mind, “Should I or shouldn’t I? Nobody will ever know!” What’s crazy is that I would never, ever even have this thought if my wife were home! Or if my friends at church were watching! Why is it that it’s easier to do things that are right in the “daytime,” when others can see, and hard to do things that are right in the “darkness,” when we think we are alone? The answer: character.

Character is doing what’s right, not because of what others will see but because it is just the right thing to do. Dwight Moody said, “Character is what you think in the dark.” You see, the idea that “nobody is watching” is really not true. You are always watching. You know exactly what your thoughts and actions are. If we’re honest about that, we’ll echo Paul, who cried out in Romans 7: 24, “What a wretched man I am!”

Not only do we know our true character, but so does the Lord. The good news here is from Romans 5:8, “But God demonstrates his own love for us in this:  While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” Jesus is watching. He knows our true character. He knows, not only what has gone on in the dark when we thought we were alone, He also knows the thoughts that are hidden in the darkness of our minds. Yet he loves us anyway! This is the motivation that enables us to grow in our character, no matter who is watching!

Prayer: Father, through Your love for us in Christ, enable us to be consistent in our thoughts and deeds, whether it is day or night. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment