Soli Deo Gloria!


For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be the glory forever! Amen.  Romans 11:36
 
“Look at me!” my 3-year-old said as he spun around in circles in the backyard. His feat was so simple, kind of silly actually. But it was a big deal for such a little guy. And as every child seems to do, he insisted that everyone (all of our guests included) look to see what he had accomplished. He was determined to have every eye focused on him. “Look at me!”
 
It might be cute if this attention-seeking attitude only described toddlers. But we know that mind-set carries on throughout life. It seems we are forever battling the need to have others recognize us. In fact, today’s obsession with celebrity may even lead us to believe that you really are no one until everyone knows you. So we see people vying for attention by the most foolish and shocking means necessary.
 
Even apart from shock value, we might ask ourselves:  “When I work hard to build a business, complete a task with excellence, keep things in order, teach students who demonstrate success … [whatever it is we strive to do] … am I seeking my own glory, am I building my own reputation, am I most concerned about what others think or about what my efforts will get for me?
 
Today, my church is kicking off a 40-week series called Uncommon. We start with Romans 11:33-36 and hear Paul demonstrating a posture of the heart that characterizes people who are being “transformed by Christ” — their desire is not for glorifying themselves, but for ascribing glory to the One who is far more worthy. While people all over the world may seek to be recognized, getting others’ attention by their looks, by their successes, or by a silly video that goes viral … the person who is called by Christ lives in a way that is countercultural. We live to give glory to God, not ourselves.
 
Christians, for nearly two thousand years, have used a Latin phrase, Soli Deo Gloria (solo = alone/only; Deus = God; Gloria = glory) — “To God alone be the glory.” After all, as Paul said it:  “from HIM and through HIM and to HIM are all things” (Rom. 11:36).
 
What about you? Are you doing the common thing of living for your glory? Or the uncommon thing of living for God’s glory?
 
 
Prayer: Lord, give me a spirit of selflessness. Remind me that all I have comes from You and that You alone deserve all the credit. When I experience success, help me say, Soli Deo Gloria! Amen.
 
#uncommon

No comments:

Post a Comment