To Live is Christ

For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.  Philippians 1:21

From Guest Blogger Colin Proft:

Paul had a victorious vision for his life. He didn’t fear death and he saw each day as a blessing from God. To live was to be with Christ on earth and to share in the encouragement, love, and joy of his fellow brothers and sisters. To die was to receive the crown of glory which Jesus had won on Calvary. In short, Paul couldn’t lose. Neither can we.

Paul didn’t draw his joy from his circumstances. If that were true, he would have had a rotten life. He wrote to the Church in Corinth:  “Five times I have received from the Jews forty lashes minus one. Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was pelted with stones, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and day in the open sea, I have been constantly on the move. I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my fellow Jews, in danger from Gentiles; in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea; and in danger from false believers. I have labored and toiled and have often gone without sleep; I have known hunger and thirst and have often gone without food; I have been cold and naked. Besides everything else, I face daily the pressure of my concern for all the churches. Who is weak, and I do not feel weak? Who is led into sin, and I do not inwardly burn?” (2 Cor.11:24-27)

No, Paul’s source of joy was found in Jesus. He fully understood that this world was fleeting and that he had everything he could possibly want or need in Jesus Christ. That is the true meaning of Philippians 4:13, “I can do everything through Him who strengthens me.” Paul considered everything else as loss for the sake of knowing Jesus Christ. He bought the pearl of great price (Matt. 13:44-46).

Rather than complaining about the circumstances he found himself in, Paul continued to rejoice and worship God. Through his obedience, God used Paul to reach the entire palace guard where he was imprisoned. It’s incredible.

As you go through your day today, look for how God is moving in your life. Place your fears and frets in His hands; trust Him to deliver you from each snare and difficulty. Wait patiently for the Lord. And live this day through His power and love.

Prayer: Father God, I will fix my eyes on You. With you by my side, I will not be shaken. You are my portion and my cup. You are my strength. You lift me up when I am discouraged. You are my ever-present help in time of need. As I go throughout this day, I pray that You would strengthen me by Your power and fill me with Your love. Come, transform my faith and life. I love You. Amen.


http://www.faithfoxvalley.org/uncommon

2 comments:

  1. Perfect prayer for me this morning! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad that was meaningful, Brianna. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete